Saturday, May 26, 2007

Why do I love PCs?

There comes a time in a man's life when he has to ask himself why he contiues to pursue a certain hobby. I enjoyed my Jeep TJ & XJ because they provided me with a way to be creative and pretend that I was an engineer. But the TJ was becoming too costly and I was not receiving much benefit from it Other than being an exceptionally small work truck.

So with my career moving back towards the realm of information systems, I once again have been working to learn as much as I can about Windows, Linux, and other system platforms. I have taught myself how to program and even created a few neat automations over the last couple of years. But I also have severely mucked up a computer beyond all recognition.

It started this morning when I decided to move from Vista the the XP partition on my desktop machine. All started out well until I launched XP and then Media Center and Firefox crashed. It messed up the orientation of my display and my wide screen monitor was in portrait mode. It took about 45 minute to recover windows and start backing things up.

I expect that the backups of all my data and file archives will take another two hours. Once done, it is time to blow away the partitions and start from scratch. Wow! what a way to spend a holiday weekend.

In all it should not take me more than today to get this done, but it is still going to be a royal pain. Maybe I will take something new away from this experience considering this is my first re-install of XP Media Center.

No comments: